Pony Modding

velI would like to say that the whole blasé brony podcast didn’t have a lasting effect on either myself or Mark, however it has. It’s an illness that we are both suffering through together now that we’ve both accepted that we have it. Though the symptoms are embarrassing and there is no prognosis, I have faith that in time we’ll make a full recovery with some shred of our dignity left in tact.


It all began with Buttercup (or Butterscotch), the white plastic figure that I gifted Mark during the shoot of our first podcast. I little realized what I had set in motion, but once it was done the effects were swift and hugely contagious.

Mark started sending me horrible photos of his new plaything; the type of images that you’d unfriend someone on facebook for. Yeah, they were messed up in that way… but this is the langue people like us speak. Naturally I had to respond and thus the dialog of ‘Pony Modding’ began.


(that’s mayo.)

I went to Target and bought an Applejack figure.


This is the stupid cowgirl character from the show that Mark oogles over. I chose this one because she, unlike the others, was without a unicorn horn or wings… making for an ideal point of departure for the project I had in mind. Alas I came home and started shaving off her wavy plastic hair with a razor blade.


I sent Mark my progress shots… partially because I knew taken out of context, he’d think I had lost my mind :


Once he saw the mohawk mounted on top of where the hair once was he realized I was hacking the thing… and all acts of cruelty were forgiven :


This pony, is based on the war-horse I am riding in the illustration I made to promote our first podcast. I want to rip off the toy’s head and mount LEDs inside where the eyes are… to get that clean ‘fuck you laser’ effect.


Sadly, the silver spray paint STILL isn’t dry after nearly a month of sitting in the desert sun and curing… so I have moved on. There are a lot of little horses in the world.


At some point while I was at Maker Faire last month I woke up to this text :


…which inspired me to make ‘Velvetine’. Yes, I bought another white pony and took what we had been hinting at with Buttercup to another level. I gave her a proper leather thong, complete with a hole for her tail to fit through. No leather panties are complete without vinyl boots either! :


Can you spot where the unicorn Horn went? I can… :


And with the addition of a collar, I gave her some pretty eye-liner that she unfortunately messed up with her tears. :


Ain’t she perdy? :


I’m debating giving her some tattoos on her arms… and I’m trying to think of a good way to cover up the current tramp stamp on her hip so I can replace it with something clever… like a little dump truck or B-52 bomber.

Along side this project, Mark has been making a set of Blue Man ponies and a secret optic yellow one (that is suppose to be a surprise). He has also run into the same issue I am having with the paint taking forever to dry. That just means there will be more to show off in the future while we work this illness out of our systems.

I know none of this is electronic or has anything to do with robotics, but it’s fun and is a great distraction from all the other hectic stuff on the front burners of my life right now. I’ll post the epic progress I’ve made on the lower half of project L once I get the tip rotating. I’ll leave it at that. It’s going to be a great summer. =]

12 responses to “Pony Modding

  1. I was thinking about your image how you had the “Fuck You!!!!” Shooting out of the eyeball. I was thinking of the little projection LED flashlights you get out of gumball machines. I took one apart a long time ago to find it was a small Microphotograph on clear plastic. I am wondering if you could do something like this with Polyshrink (shrink plastic) and a lens small lens. LED first and then a Laser Diode for more fun? Just some ideas.

    • That would be amazing… I would love to project that on the walls with my chromed pony. I’m having a rough time getting inside their heads to place any electronics without destroying the toy in the process. Great suggestion… If I try it out and it works I will post photos =]

      • Please do let me know ! I have yet to play around with shrink plastics. If I can get someone to give me some ponies off of Freecycle I will experiment with opening them up and putting them back to one. I wonder what type of plastic it is… might email them and find out. Might could weld them back if we know that.

      • Guess what ! I found the projection lens from that old gumball projector in my lens box! I can stick it in an regular envelope and mail it to you if you like.This way it will have the required spacing for the microphoto. Just shoot me an email. KG

      • Got a reply from Hasbro:

        “The ponies with rooted hair are typically PVC bodies/head. The hair is typically Nylon. “

      • good to know… that means there is chlorine in the bodies. Better tell my friend who stuck his in the oven to speed up the drying process that that isn’t a good idea. lol

  2. Not to mention good old hydrogen chloride. Nasty stuff. Only thing I could see doing is to use PVC pipe primer/cement.

Talk to me

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s